Butternut squash fries , a sweet nutty & flavorful easy fall favorite side dish loaded with potassium, vitamin A & C that is soft on the inside and crispy outside.
Butternut squash fries can look like sweet potato in its color and taste. But did you know it is a fruit and not a vegetable. I would like to encourage you to try new vegetables if you haven’t. Life is too short to just stick to one favorite. Did I mention its vegan too.
For best and easy results :
- The hardest part of the recipe is peeling butternut squash. I find that cutting with a knife (as seen in the video) than peel is more convenient for me.
- I use a downward motion and the stoke is always away from me so I am not cutting my self accidentally. Its harder to peel or cut such tough skins in a horizontal motion in my opinion. Vertical gives me a better grip by first cutting a small flat surface on the veggie. But totally unto you as to how you prefer to peel.
- Butternut squash is an excellent alternative to pumpkin and sweet potato and has more nutrient in it in comparison with the others.
- Once you start baking keep an eye on the required crispiness. Usually slightly brown outside and soft inside will be the tastiest with optimum nutty sweet taste.
Pointers for best baked squash fries :
- Remember – Unlike the potato French fries it will not hold the shape once cool as the starch composition is different. That is the reason why we are introducing cornstarch so that it absorbs most of the moisture on the butternut squash. This gives the surface a good crisp up and brown.
- The size of the fries, the oven temperature , etc can make or break the fires easily as the pieces are finicky. It can stick to each other and break quickly.
- Do not skip chipotle chili powder. It imparts a the much needed smoky flavor and taste to the squash fries and elevates the dish to the next level. Instead smoked paprika could be used.
- Whether the baking tray is made of glass or metal greased or not can all make a significant change in the final outcome of butternut squash fries.
We have another interesting fries to try from this blog:
Okra fries (spicy hot and flavorful fries)
Recipe courtesy : http://www.flavzcorner.com . Indebted to this friend for encouraging me try this recipe of hers. Thank you Shibi.
Butternut squash fries
- 1 medium Butternut squash
- 3-4 tsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Chipotle chili powder (Do not skip)
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1+ tbsp Corn starch
- 1-2 sprigs Rosemary (or any other fresh herbs)
- Peel and cut the butternut squash into half inch thin match stick pieces.Chop the fresh herbs . Keep little aside for garnishing.
- Add all the the ingredients given above to the chopped butter nut squash in the same order given above. Remember to add cornstarch just to coat the pieces too much will cake up on the fries. So dust off excess if needed
- Grease the tray and spread the fries in such a way no two fries touch each other.
- Bake at 400Â°F for 25-30 minutes , keep an eye and turn the fries put for another 5-10 minutes until it turns crispy not too brown.
- Serve immediately with chipotle ranch dressing.
Hope you will give this recipe a try and let me know